Thursday, August 25, 2005

Where's Something When You Want It?

Seriously, where? Especially things that you should want more often, and should keep better track of, but typically don't? In this case, such an object would be my One Year Bible. Given to me by my Cell Group leader, it is supposed to be a tool to help me keep up with regular Bible reading, but I haven't used it quite that much lately. In fact, I maybe stuck with it for a solid week at most. But now, without any blogging material in mind, I was hoping that I could find some inspiration there, and yet I cannot find it at all.

Actually, gimme a few seconds... I will find this.

*sigh*
It's sad the things you'll find on your bedroom floor, when you let that become such a clutter zone as mine. Oh, and for the record, Diet Sprite Zero has (like all other Coca-Cola products) way too much carbonation. Unfortunately, it's the only thing cold in the fridge right now.

Okay, let's crack this thing open here. I guess technically it is the 25th now, so I'll flip there. Ah, I have missed a good while. The last time I checked, the Old Testament study was still somewhere in Kings. Now, it's a good deep bit into Job. It appears we're somewhere in the dialogue between Job and his three friends who had come to visit him as he wallows in pain and self-pity, being tormented by Satan.

Bah, I can't stand this Sprite. Almost done with it though; the quicker, the better.

Anyway, the way the One Year Bible (In case you don't have one - which I highly recommend you do.) is laid out, you get a bit of OT, a bit of NT, and a Psalm and Proverb to read every day. I'll just hyperlink the passages that it has laid out, and comment as things come to me.

So, first we have Job 16:1-19:29

Here's something of interest. Now, it is said by some that the story of Job may just be more legend than literal truth. Nonetheless it is Scripture, and therefore known to be divinely inspired. So, in either case, we have written here the accounts of words of a servant of God, in Old Testament times. The fact that it was written many centuries BC is what particularly makes this piece interesting:

(Job 16:19-21 NIV - Job is speaking)
Even now my witness is in heaven; my advocate is on high. My intercessor is my friend as my eyes pour out tears to God; on behalf of a man he pleads with God as a man pleads for his friend.

Long before Mary and Joseph were around, perhaps even before the days of Abraham, Job is speaking of a heavenly intercessor standing in his defense, whom we now know as Jesus. Just one of the many instances in Old Testament scripture, where we see foreshadowing of the events meant to take place between 0 and 33 BC.

Bah, I'm getting tired now. Guess Job will do that to you at 4 in the morning. Let's at least check out what Proverbs has to say today, before I go to bed. Ah, very good sense here indeed, as if any less was to be expected:

(Proverbs 22:1 NLT)
Choose a good reputation over great riches, for being held in high esteem is better than having silver or gold.

Also, please pardon the lack of the hyperlinks that I promised. I'll fix that next time I log on here. Meanwhile, just check out http://www.biblegateway.com/ for all the verses.

Now to quote Red Skelton: "Good night, and God Bless."

- Iszi

No comments: