Tuesday, June 22, 2004

So, what to write now? - Yee-haw!

Greetings, Readers.

Since the starting of this blog, only a few days ago, I've pretty much either had a topic in mind (the basic "first post" kinda stuff), or been too busy to write. Now, I have a good amount of time to write, but nothing in mind to write about since all the introductory stuff has been pretty much covered at this point.

I guess the best thing to do is turn to scripture, as I had originally said I am intending to do with this. For me, the quickest thing that comes to mind is my "Yee-haw" sermon. I'm not a preacher or pastor at this time, but through the past couple months since coming to ChurhcInTheSon, and consequently coming closer to God, I've had several things come into my thoughts and dreams, and some small reinforcements to those thoughts in my life that are starting to make me wonder if I'm not actually being called to pastoral service. I'll go into more detail on those some other time, but now for my little preach here.

Like most "good Christians", I go to church every Sunday as feasable (which, there is rarely any reason it shouldn't be). I see many people there: friends, family, church staff, ushers, prayer team members, and plenty of people I don't know as well. I come for several purposes: worship, prayer, learning, and fellowship. To me, the most valued of these is worship, which also constitutes the first portion, and almost half of the service. During this time, though, a group of people are revealed that not only stick out when they're nearby, but also worry me. It's those that don't join in praise and worship to our Lord. Now, for those that are new to the church, I can understand. They may feel out of place and don't quite know what's going on. But when I start recognizing these people on a regular basis, and know that they are believers who know what church is for, it bothers me to repeatedly see them come and not worship, or they do so without gusto or joy.

When I consider this, I wonder what reason a person who loves God could have for not wanting to join in praise and worship at a Sunday service, especially for those whose only praise or worship time during the week may be on Sunday. A few things come to mind: Maybe they don't have that great a singing voice, the kind that only sounds good in the shower. Maybe they're disabled and don't feel they can worship since they can't stand with the crowd. Maybe they've had a tough morning getting the kids dressed and out to church, and the stress they're holding onto keeps them from feeling energetic enough to join.

However, in Psalms 98:4 (King James Version)the Bible commands us to "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.". It doesn't say our voice has to sound great, it just says to "Make a joyful noise...". It doesn't say we need to stand, or even be upright. We could be sitting, kneeling, on our backs, or laying prostrate, as long as we "Make a joyful noise...". It doesn't even have to consist of words, or anything that makes any literate sense, it just has to be a "...joyful noise...".

So, what's a joyful noise?
Many Christians would immediately respond "Hallelujah!" but what else?

The Marines say "Hoorah!"
Santa Claus says "Ho, ho, ho!"
Many southerners in the United States prefer "Yee-haw!"
The Englishmen have the expression "Cherrio!"
Many a footbal fan would simply shout "Yeah!" after their team has scored a touchdown.
Baseball fans shout "Charge!"

Here's some examples from several television personalities:
Jetsons - "Ooba doobah!"
Flintstones - "Yabba-dabba-doo!"
Ren & Stimpy - "Happy, happy, joy, joy!"
Earthworm Jim - "Whoah, nilly!"
Homer Simpson - "Woo-hoo!"
Tim Taylor - "He, he, ho, ho!"

So, we don't always necessarily have to sing a great and beautiful song, with a voice that should be sold on CDs in a store. Although that is a great, and the most common way to praise and express our love to God, He is just as greatly pleased when we shout "Woo-hoo!", or "Yabba-dabba-doo!" or "Hoorah!" for Him, as long as we're making a noise, and doing it joyfully for Him. And when we make these noises, how can we not be joyful? I personally find it pretty hard to say "Yee-haw!" and not do it loudly, or not feel good about it. If I did, I'd feel pretty stupid-looking, and feel like there was no point in saying the word. The same goes for any worship to the Lord. If it's not done with joy, or gusto, with a happy spirit behind it, the words are wasted.

In Phillipians 4:4, the Bible commands us to "Rejoice in the Lord always..."! It does not say "Rejoice in the Lord when you're having a good day.". It says "Rejoice in the lord always...". Especially on Sunday, the Sabbath day (as recognized by most Christian faiths), which we have been commanded to keep holy (Defined by Merriam-Webster as "devoted entirely to the deity...") in Exodus 20:8.

So, if you ever find yourself in Church, and having a hard time getting in a joyful spirit, just try making any "joyful noise" from your spirit. If you honestly try to make yourself do it, you'll find you will have a hard time doing it without also starting to feel joyous in doing so.

Today's "song of the moment" is Todd Agnew's "This Fragile Breath", one of my favorite praise/worship songs to sing while working in the Vault (big refrigerator where all the cold drinks are sold from at work).

See y'allz later.

- Iszi

No comments: