Monday, October 11, 2004

I Should Probably Say Something

Greetings, Readers.

I guess I should probably say something about the recent death of Christopher Reeve. Everyone else is, at least. Not that it's a bad thing or anything - I'm just not typically one to talk about deaths of others that do not personally affect me, often.

One thing I must mention though, is that I find it sad that he is only remembered in most of his obituaries as "the star of Superman". I mean, sure he did a great job in all of the Superman movies, and he definitely created a face and character for Superman that most recent-day spin-offs of the series try to imitate, but that's not all he did as an actor.

I'm no film and movie guru, but I do know that most "big name hero" actors (i.e.: James Bond actors Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan, Star Trek actor William Shatner, Star Trek: The Next Generation actor Patrick Stewart, Spider-Man actor Tobey Maguire, just to name a few) don't have just one movie or one series that's all they do in their acting career. I mean, sure there's the one that really get's their name on the map. Or maybe not the one that's the first to put them out there, but still the one that most people will recognize. Yet, that's not the only movie or series that completely should define the actor. There's plenty other movies in which every actor has performed very well, outside of their most-recognized role, and few ever get much recognition for those movies when they're being referred to, unless they don't have one of those "defining roles" as the aforementioned actors do.

As I ramble on about this, I must admit that I've still not seen every other movie Mr. Reeve has acted in. In fact, I've only seen one outside of the Superman series. It is one that I believe he deserves just as much credit and mention for as any of his Superman roles. In my opinion, it was a very great film, with a well-played part by Christopher Reeve. It is called Somewhere In Time. In short, it is about a playwrite who meets an older woman that turns out to be an "old flame" of his, that he's not yet had. This sparks a short series of events that leads him to be obsessed with this woman, whom we later find was a turn-of-the-century actress, and decides that he absolutely must meet her again. In probably one of the most unique ways that I've seen yet, (using self-hypnosis) he travels back in time to meet her and they fall in love, although much to the disapproval of her manager whom also has an eye on her. The rest of the movie, I will not spoil. Go see it for yourself. Chances are, a local library has a copy you can check out, if all else fails.

Anyway, it's now a couple days after I started this post, and I'm picking up from the middle, so I've halfway lost the train of thought I was originally running on. I've also got some other things that I've jotted down in the meantime, that I wanted to post about, so I'll cut this one off here. I think I've said most of what I wanted to say, even if the thought line seems somewhat incomplete.

- Iszi

1 comment:

Deborah White said...

My husband loves "Somewhere in Time." Reeve was wonderful in it!